Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Satan's Legal Team

This from Steven Altrogge at Blazing Center today:

Satan and my conscience make an unbeatable legal team. They know all the facts. They know that I responded impatiently to Jen last night. That my devotional times have been lukewarm recently. They know that I spent way too much time surfing the Internet yesterday (why do I always do that?).

Plus, they’ve got a rap sheet on me that covers my entire life. My past sins, failures, idolatry – all there, plain as day.

They present an unbeatable case. How can I fight the facts? I know I’m guilty, they know I’m guilty. What’s left to argue about?

And so they present their case against me. I sit down to read my Bible and the accusations begin.

How dare you approach God, you filthy sinner? You really think God is going to hear you today? With the week you’ve had? Think again pal. God isn’t interested in you today. Come back when you’ve cleaned up your act.

How do I answer such allegations? How do I respond to such accusations? By agreeing with the charges.

Satan’s case has one major problem: we’re not in the courtroom anymore. A verdict has already been rendered concerning me. It’s in the courtroom minutes:

Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? (Rom. 8:33-34)

The moment I was justified by God, all accusations were put to rest. God declared that I was not guilty. Past sins? Not guilty. Present sins? Not guilty. Future sins? Not guilty.

All the accusations are true. I’ve committed all those sins. But this case was settled the moment I hoped in Christ. In the courtroom of heaven God declared me not guilty. My guilt was imputed to Christ, Christ’s righteousness was imputed to me. God himself has said that I’m not guilty. Who can argue with the verdict of God?

No more charges can be leveled against me. Case closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment