Friday, August 3, 2007

Great Worship Music

One of my favorite worship albums is Robin Mark's "Revival In Belfast" (see the link to the right). I picked up his latest, "East of the River" and it's another great one! There's something about the Scottish/Irish sound that lends itself well to worship music and Robin does a great job of incorporating it into his music. I think the thing that attracts me to these types of CDs is the combination of great tunes and solid, Christ-centered lyrics. Eoghan Heaslip's "Mercy" (another link to the right) CD is similar in that respect.


One song on "East of the River", titled "Fortress" just jumped out at me while I was at the beach a few weeks ago. Every time I listen to it, I enjoy it more. Here are the lyrics;




I have found a fortress in the living God


I have made the sovereign Lord my refuge


And my lips will tell of all His saving grace


The depths of which no man could measure




In the "days of plenty', in the 'days of want'


I will put my trust in You alone


For there's no heart greater than the Father's heart


And there's no love sweeter than the Son's




That this love pursued us is a mystery


For the heart is base and You are holy


Yet the streams of mercy that flow over me


Will afford me grace to stand in glory




Where with men and angels


Where with slaves and kings


I will sing my praise to You alone


For there's no heart greater than the Father's heart


And there's no love sweeter than the Son's




Hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah to my King


Hallelujah, hallelujah, Jesus Christ, my everything




This is a quiet and touching song. We may use it for communion this Sunday. There's another song on the CD called "Heaven's Gates" I'd like us to do for worship sometime.


CDs like this one are a big help to me in my personal times of worship. They help me to put aside all the distractions of the day and focus on the Lord, His goodness, the blessings He provides and His attributes. This is food for the soul and a balm for the spirit. I need these times of refreshing and renewal. You do too. Try it out! Find some God-centered music that touches you deep down inside and let the Holy Spirit minister to you while you lift up your heart in praise and thanks to Him. It's a special time to spend with your Father in heaven and He will bless you for it. You can do it at home, while you're working out, on your commute or just before you go to sleep. "Let all things that have breath praise Him!"

2 comments:

  1. Hey John!
    I'm glad you wrote about Robin Mark's new CD. He's one of Debbie's favorite musicians too. I will have to get this one for her. Oh, and I like him too, but my favorite is still Sara Groves, who, by the way, is coming out with a new record in November.
    Missing you all,
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jim! I got mine from Worshipmusic.com, one of my favorite sites to buy Christian music from. They have a great newsletter you can sign up for as well.

    I pray all is well for you and Debbie and the family and that all your boxes are unpacked!

    ReplyDelete