Tuesday, December 31, 2019

The View from a Pastor's Wife's Chair

The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man is he who listens to counsel.  Proverbs 12:15


As the old year draws to a close and a new one waits in the wings, I find myself eager to move into 2020 with the obvious, intentional pun of clearer vision. I find that in looking back on my old attitudes and perspectives I am longing for a change, to embrace a sharpened and honed vision for the future.  My desire for a less encumbered, more thoughtful and purposeful life includes it being a more grateful one.




One of the wisest things my husband has ever told me (and he tells me many wise things as my best friend and my most trusted counselor) is that I have to learn not to count my life in losses but in blessings.



Unfortunately, I find at the ripe old age of 59 that the ageless enemy of idolatry still lives in me, manifesting itself in shortsighted ingratitude. 


The lines of my boundary have fallen in pleasant places; surely my inheritance is delightful. Psalm 16:6

How can a human soul so blessed stay in a place of misguided loyalty? Surely this is what idolatry is - lingering and looking into something, ascribing it the highest value, above all others, above God and His truth?

Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things. Colossians 3:2


My life is sweet - not without its own version of trials and failures, but the hard times have *eventually* led and hopefully will continue to lead me deeper into Christ. 

"I am the Light of the world.  Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness but will have the light of life."  John 8:12

This year I want to work at setting my sight on how beautiful God is in every situation (meaning in others’ and my own failures too), how faithfully He stays with us in pain and loss (family, business, health), how lovingly He pursues those He is calling and has already called His own...


how intentionally He saves us and how graciously He is ever refining us, opening our eyes, revealing our imperfections - not to call us solely to an inward estimation of worth or lack thereof, an introspection which often backfires and stalls into self-glorification or self-abasement, 

but one that leads us ultimately upwards to a holy God who lives in us and made it possible for us to live a Light-filled life. 

Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ... Ephesians 4:15

What a high calling of choice we have, to dwell in and on the truth, speaking it in love, to ourselves and others. I/We must be careful though. This is not simply sending happy thoughts to ourselves or others. That would be like throwing an empty styrofoam cup to a person drowning in deep waters.


It’s more a strategic launching of a life-saving instrument (God's word), targeted to reach the hands and heart of the one in need, being careful not to strike the head with an intentional knock-out.

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2

Perhaps you’d like to join us (online or in your own devotions) in studying the book of Luke, the Gentile doctor who traveled extensively with the Apostle Paul and wrote out the testimonies of his own acts and the acts of the eyewitnesses’ who lived and walked with Christ?  Within these pages you’ll see God’s love IS for everyone, as my dear hubby’s sermon series title proclaims. 

He has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of His beloved Son. Colossians 1:13 


Whatever our choices for this year, may we and they be informed with God’s word, and may we live graciously with ourselves and each other, overflowing with the gratitude of one who has been lovingly pursued, rescued, and is being slowly but surely shaped and fashioned for life in a kingdom that's not only here and now, but also out of this world. ;)


Happy New Year, dear ones.

KK 

No comments:

Post a Comment