Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Next Chapter, a Group Reading Adventure

A few years ago, I was challenged and moved by the idea of "Biblical Theology". I've done some reading in Systematic Theology books and enjoy their focused perspectives on major subjects and themes in the bible, covered exhaustively, subject by subject, books like Wayne Grudem's excellent "Systematic Theology". Those books are great, informative and necessary. But, I wanted to know more about how the books of the Bible fit together, how the overall story is told. That's a field of study known as "Biblical Theology".

I came across Graeme Goldsworthy's "According to Plan", an

excellent overview of the unity of the Bible, linking all 66 books together into one seamless story. It was the beginning of a new passion for me, the passion to see how every book in the Bible fit with every other, why it was there and how it is essential in telling the overarching story of God's self-revelation in the redemption of fallen man. I caught the bug! But that first book was not the easiest book to wade through. 

Ultimately, I was led to Vaughn Robert's overview of
Goldsworthy's overview, "God's Big Picture", an easy read and eminently accessible. I have others, but this is the one book that explains it all in a brief and concise manner. 

It's a great look at Biblical Theology and an essential if you're one of those that has ever wondered about the differences between  covenantal theology and dispensational theology. It doesn't directly address either, but it lays a good foundation for both perspectives. 

Furthermore, if you've ever wondered why Ruth, Esther or Jonah are in the Bible (not to mention Philemon), and what they have to do with the big picture, this is a great place to get started. 

We're going to read the book together, one chapter each
week, starting Sept 7. We're calling the program "The Next Chapter". Each Monday, I'll post a short overview of the current chapter and we can comment, question or simply read along to our heart's desire. 

If you want to join us, just pick up the book and read the forward and first chapter prior to Sep 7. You can find it on Amazon (Kindle and hard copy), CBD (e-book and hard copy) or at the WBF Bookstore. 

I hope and pray the subject matter blesses you as much as it has me. If you get a chance, drop me a note at kuvakas@gmail.com or message me on fb to let me know you're coming along. 

The next chapter is #1!

4 comments:

  1. This is a great ideal. We are looking forward to it, and Wendy and I will be following along, and participating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to it. See everyone on the 7th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the book and am ready to read. And talk. Well, always ready for both actually.... Thanks for leading us!

    ReplyDelete