Sunday, June 7, 2015

"With These Hands" a poem for graduates

I shared a poem in this morning's service, dedicated to graduates on behalf of their parents and loved ones who raised them. It was written by Mark DeYmaz of Little Rock Arkansas and provided to us by Robin Ariola. Here's the text;


"With these Hands"

With these hands, I gently cradled this child,
Held him close to my heart,
Nursed his wounds and calmed her fears,
Held the books that I would read
And rock this child fast asleep.

With these hands, I made his lunches
And drove the car that carried her to school;
Snapped endless pictures, wrapped countless gifts,
Then did my best to assemble those gifts.
Combed his hair and wiped her tear,
Let her know that I was near
To nurse his wounds and heal her heart
When it would break.

With these hands, I made mistakes,
And with these hands, I prayed and prayed and prayed.
These hands are feeble, these hands are worn,
These hands can no longer calm the storms;
These hands have done all they can do;
These hands now release this child, my child,
To You.

For Your hands are able,
Your hands are strong,
Your hands alone can calm the storms.
Your hands will continue to do
What they are so gifted to do,
To shape his life and make her new.

Into Your hands receive this child,
For my child I now give back to You.
In the strong name of Jesus,
And with all my heart I pray,

Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Precious words. I listen while I was driving, to a Christian radio and it was talking about letting go of our teens at graduation. I had already been so touched by the conversation before the poem...regarding teaching our children to put doing their jobs, their work before play. About learning time management and I said to myself "thank you Lord, I did it right". My children said a couple of times...well, so and so lets their children do....and I would say "I am not their mother....my children will not do those things. What will this world be when those children grow up and have children." And today we are living in this world with so much going wrong...it goes back to how children are raised. Parents when you stand before Jesus will he say well done, my faithful servant? Think about it.

    ReplyDelete