Sunday, January 11, 2015

A Note From Pastor Scott Ferrell to Our Church Family


Brothers and Sisters,

If you're familiar with WBF, you know that we emphasize in our teaching that trials will come to our lives, and that they're not a matter of if, but when. 

But as God teaches us consistently in His word, those trials always come with a purpose for believers. In fact James says to "count it all joy" when we encounter various trials (James 1:2), because God uses them to produce steadfast faith in us, and that gives us the opportunity to demonstrate His magnificent goodness.

Over the past few years as your servant in Christ, I've had the high honor and privilege of walking with many of you in the midst of your trials, and that has bolstered my own faith. It's been a joy watching God at work!

Today, Leslie and I face a significant trial of our own. After a series of medical tests beginning in November, including a biopsy, I found out from my doctor on Tuesday that I have prostate cancer.

This has been a surreal and scary week. No one wants to hear that word, "cancer." 

But there's much to be thankful for. It's one of the most treatable kinds of cancer, and by God's providence, the cancer was discovered early. I'm thankful for my general practioner, who recommended beginning my annual checkups a couple of years ago, even though I'm younger than usual. Because of these things, my prognosis is excellent.

I'm also thankful for my wife, Leslie, a Godly woman who is full of encouragement and faith. And we are both very thankful that we have you, our Christian family. We covet your prayers for healing of course, and also for guidance and wisdom as we explore the options regarding what treatment to take; none of them is particularly pleasant, since they tend to have some negative and permanent consequences. 

We also covet your hugs—and please don't feel shy about asking us how we're doing or how things are progressing. We're very open about this, and our desire is that we might live for God's glory together, just like God has been exalted in many of your trials as we've faced them together. 

All of this should have very little impact on my availability or ability to serve you, except for some doctor's appointments and some recovery time after my treatment, which will happen sometime in the next month or two. 

Leslie and I trust God. We know that He's using this situation to accomplish His will, and that's why we consider it a joy to be refined by our trial. And we believe God's promise that all things work for His good for those who belong to Christ.

God says in Psalm 50:15, "Call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me." Our prayer is for healing, certainly, but more importantly, regardless of the outcome, that God is glorified and magnified in the way we live through this.

To Him be all honor, glory and praise! Blessed be the name of the Lord!

Scott & Leslie

1 comment:

  1. Scott,
    We are praying for you and Leslie. Just now reading this.
    Carl

    ReplyDelete