Saturday, May 3, 2014

How Should a Christian Respond to Criticism?

People don't mean to be harsh, at least most don't intend to be. Yet, they sometimes come across that way. 

Christians can be as critical as anyone else...and sometimes more so. We all know that we should not judge, lest we be judged ourselves. But, get into a matter of teaching and preaching to each other, raising our kids, what we do with our free time, the music we listen to, the movies we watch, the way we dress, the list goes on and on...and watch the pejoratives fly! I haven't even mentioned politics or denominational differences!

So, when the criticism comes, as it inevitably will, what is the Christian, sanctified-and-being-sanctified response?

I believe The Valley of Vision has a wise and godly prayer for us to pray;

Teach me how to take reproofs from friends,
even though I think I do not deserve them;
Use them to make me tenderly afraid of sin,
more jealous over myself,
more concerned to keep heart and life unblameable;

Cause them to help me reflect on my want of spirituality,
to abhor myself,
to look upon myself as unworthy,
and make them beneficial to my soul.
May all thy people know how little, mean, and vile I am,
that they may see I am nothing,
less than nothing,
to be accounted nothing,
that so they may pray for me aright,
and have not the least dependence upon me


I know the easy response it to get defensive or lash back. But, I pray I can learn and you can learn as well, that the critics that arise over the next week or so should "cause us to be tenderly afraid of sin, ...make us more concerned to keep our hearts and lives unblameable and ...cause us to reflect upon our want of spirituality."

No comments:

Post a Comment