Monday, September 16, 2013

That They May All Be One - A Week of Fasting, Day 2

John 17:20-23

20 “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.”




In His High Priestly Prayer, Jesus prays to His Father that those God had given Him will, “be one”. But it doesn’t stop there. He prays that true believers will be so united and unified in the ‘truth’ that we will have unity with the Son and the Father as well. 

Why? “…so that the world may believe that you (the Father) have sent me (Jesus Christ).”

In our unity with Christ, we are also to have unity with fellow believers – to be of the same mind. And in this unity, we will be a witness to the truth about the Father and the Son to a lost and dying world. Jesus is praying for perfect unity between us and Him and the Father. Does it get any better than that?

To live in unity with the Father and Christ and each other, is to agree with and acknowledge and live in His truth, His word. When we agree with His truth and promises, we are united with Christ. When we agree in His truth and promises as a family, or a church family, we are united with Christ in such a way, that the world around us notices. 

Disunity brings reproach to us and His name…unity in the truth of His word, brings praise and glory from believers, and
acknowledgement from the world, even if it is negative acknowledgement. 

The world is looking for reasons to scoff. We, as believers, need to give them a reason to be amazed. And our unity with Christ and each other is just the ticket!

John Boswell
September 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment