Sunday, July 31, 2011

How To Gain Influence

Written by Mark Altrogge over at the Blazing Center

Topics: Serving

We don’t always have the opportunity to share the gospel directly with those we love, live around or work with. But we can still exert a godly influence.

I’m stirred by this quote by Tim Keller, commenting on God’s command to Israel to seek the welfare of Babylon when they had been taken captive:

“For you,” God says, “the route to gaining influence is not taking power. Influence gained through power and control doesn’t really change society; it doesn’t change hearts. I’m calling you to a totally different approach. Be so sacrificially loving that the people around you, who don’t believe what you believe, will soon be unable to imagine the place without you. They’ll trust you because they see that you’re not only out for yourself, but out for them, too. When they voluntarily begin to look up to you because of the attractiveness of your service and love, you’ll have real influence.” — Tim Keller, King’s Cross

Here are some questions this quote raises:

  • How am I seeking to serve or bless my neighbors, co-workers, or unbelieving children?
  • Would the unbelievers in my life see that I’m truly “out for them” – that I have their interests at heart?
  • Would my non-Christian friends say I was “sacrificially loving?”
  • What sacrifices can I make for unbelievers?
  • How is my church sacrificially serving our community?
  • What are some ways we can do that?

What questions would you add?

How is your church sacrificially serving your community?

No comments:

Post a Comment