Wednesday, January 5, 2011

30 Day Challenge - Day 4!

Well, I'm not sure about you but I am learning some lessons about myself!

  • Apart from the last 4 days, I haven't spent nearly as much time in the Word as I should have!
  • Those passages I am most familiar with and have the urge to skip over are the ones that carry the biggest surprises.
  • It's hard to get started each day but great as soon as I crack open my Bible. It becomes an adventure and I say to myself, "Why didn't I do this sooner?".
  • Even the apparently "boring" passages (genealogies, ugh!) always have some beautiful nugget or jewel in them. Patience pays off in big blessings!
And here are a few other observations and tips about how we can all work together on this:
  • Since this is not a competition, we don't have to gauge our progress by what other folks are doing. We can encourage each other through rough spots and celebrate each others victories at the same time. A few folks and a few families have come up with some fantastic ways for the whole family to read together without trying to keep toddler minds engaged for 10 chapters of Bible reading. Many folks have made solid commitments to one or two chapters a day. This is great news for all of us and a reason to give praise to Him who indwells us!
  • You don't have to give anything up! This is not lent! All any of us has to do is examine our day and ensure that God plays a big part of it. No need to throw your TV out the window, just make sure you're not giving higher priority to the TV than the Bible. And let's not limit our self examination to TV. Your struggle (if you have one) can be with video games (hmmm...which you usually play on...TV !!), hobbies, FARMVILLE!!, web surfing, Facebook, etc. The TV is just a metaphor for anything that is more important than God to you.
  • If you haven't started, there is no getting left behind! We're talking about a change in lifestyle here. The important thing is that you start. A year from now, it won't make any difference. The difference will come from your commitment to read, not your starting date. You can start today! We'll have the plans available at the church again this Sunday.
  • Keep in mind, we are trying to adopt a new habit. We're not just trying to "make it through" 30 days.
  • I really like the online version of Grant Horner's system at youversion.com. It's very handy but it's missing two things; It's difficult to do a quick review of the previous few verses before starting the new chapter. And, there is no way of getting familiar with where the Books are in the Bible. That being said, there are a number of different reading plans available on the site, something for everyone, and it is very convenient! I'll be using it as a back up in case I leave my Bible somewhere but my primary reading will be done with a real live, paper and cover book in my hands.
We're praying for all of you. May the Lord be your strength! May the Holy Spirit be your companion, encourager and convictor!

No comments:

Post a Comment