Saturday, May 2, 2009

A Day At the Races

Last week, Steve Strong asked if I would like to go to Summit Point Motorsports Park for a day of vintage racing and car shows. I don't usually plan anything for Saturday but, as Pastor Bob was preaching this weekend, I said, "Yes!". My son, Jason joined us as did Matt Rhodes, Jim Ely and Steve's friend, Tom.

We had free access to the Pits. It was a lot of fun roaming around and seeing all the cars up close:


The races themselves were pretty exciting. We were able to move all around the track and get a variety of views:


Once again, we found that the fellowship of believers is sweet:


Steve is a member of the local Porsche club. As such, he was invited to take a few laps around the track. He asked me to be his navigator, "OK, Steve....follow that car.....keep following....keep following...etc!" It was a thrilling race and I would have been instrumental in Steve's victory except We weren't allowed to pass anyone so I think he was just being nice to me. Here's how it looked from the passenger seat of Steve's excellent 944:


There were two Allards there. Allards were made in the early 50's, in England. They used a British made chassis with a Cadillac engine. They were silly fast in their day. The red one is an original while the green one is a more recent and updated version. Racing legend, Brian Redman piloted the green one as a Pace Car for the races:

No comments:

Post a Comment