Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Little Cars - 1/43rd Scale Models

People always ask me, "John, what do you do with all your spare time/"

I collect little cars.

1/43rd Scale models to be exact. They're about 5" to 6" long and can be pretty interesting in their level of detail.

I also really enjoy taking photographs of them and sharing them with my friends in the hobby. It's a fun past-time for me that Kelly patiently puts up with and has even, at times, helped me along.

I've come across a Russian gentleman in Boston, Mikhail Bashmashnikov (B & G), who hand makes, out of brass and resin, incredibly detailed miniaturizations of classic cars. I had the opportunity to photograph one of his little jewels this week. Remember this entire model is only 5" long and is completely fabricated by hand:



Here's a few examples of some of the outdoor photos I've had some fun with. I'll place the model on the roof of my car then, using a macro lens and playing with the angle of the shot, I can fill the background of the photo to make the car look as if it were in a real setting. Again, these models are only 5" long:





No comments:

Post a Comment