Tuesday, July 17, 2007

This Is Celebration Week!

Tomorrow is Ruth and Todd's 3rd anniversary and the day after is my birthday! We're going to celebrate both tomorrow. It's a bit melancholy due to Jason's absence but we're all having a great time, nonetheless.

The weather has been a curious mix of sun, wind and rain. Fortunately, the timing of the wind and rain has been good enough that it hasn't cramped our beach time very much. We seem to be getting a heavy shower in the late afternoon followed by brisk winds and a lot of white caps out in the ocean later in the day.

I usually gauge the progress of my vacation by the types of suntan lotion I use. I started out with SPF 15 and worked down to where I am today..........accelerator! This is a new personal best for me! Kelly starts out with 30 or 15 and has worked down to 4 or 6. She's a golden, beautiful beach bunny!

This how serious our thinking at the beach gets. We worry about which suntan lotion to use. We stare out towards the ocean and begin thinking deep thoughts. Thoughts like, "I wonder if it's time to turn over." Or, "Do you think the blisters in my feet will get sunburned?" Or, the main topic of conversation on a number of days, "Is today Monday or Tuesday?" We actually had to ask our waitress at the restaurant we ate at last weekend what day it was! She answered with a look on her face that said, "How can these people be so brain dead and on vacation at the same time?"

Apart from our confusion over the date, we have had a restful and restorative time. We both feel refreshed and renewed and are looking forward to getting home and seeing everybody. The Holy Spirit has ministered to us and we have been blessed mightily by our down time. It's been great hearing from those who have commented on the blog and from those who have emailed us. Those notes are a balm to our spirits and we appreciate them a bunch. They also serve to keep us attached to what's going on, relieving any anxiety we may experience by be out of touch.

It's also great to know that Bob is on top of things. It's such a blessing being able to minister alongside someone I have such a great personal relationship with and someone I trust so much.

I'm not going to tell anyone which birthday is coming up so I won't feel so old. I've been able to keep this a secret for over 54 years now, a few more days won't matter;0)

4 comments:

  1. John,
    I just wanted to let you know that I have really been enjoying your blog. I can really hear your heart through your writing. I've had quite a few laughs over it too. (John Boswell!)
    Glad you and Kelly are having a relaxing time together. You guys are so cute!
    Kim McGarry

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi john,

    this is your favorite son-in-law, todd. my thinking this morning did deepen as i considered redesinging your blog page since i am viewing it from your computer. i decided that i like it when you are happy with me, and i shouldn't ruin my repore with you so friviliously.

    i also recognize that as much as i am enjoying your company along with my lovely mother-in-law my vacation has not been quite as successful as yours, in that, i started with spf 30, went to 15, got burnt, and now i am returning to spf 30.

    thank you for the blessing you are, and happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! We have to get up pretty early in the morning to be able to get all the talking about you done that we need to today. Let's start out in song today! "My dad is so great! My dad is so great! One a-birthday, two a-birthday, Dad is so great! " Now its off to low tide to tell all the fishes!

    I love you. Happy birthday, Dad. It's good to be here with you and see you smile.

    Your favorite daughter,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! We have to get up pretty early in the morning to be able to get all the talking about you done that we need to today. Let's start out in song today! "My dad is so great! My dad is so great! One a-birthday, two a-birthday, Dad is so great! " Now its off to low tide to tell all the fishes!

    I love you. Happy birthday, Dad. It's good to be here with you and see you smile.

    Your favorite daughter,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete